Thursday, March 8, 2012

Behaviorism in School


What is our job as a teacher?  Have you ever really thought about that question?  In today's world, most people know that it is to pass tests and achieve the all mighty AYP that our government puts so much emphasis on.  I do not feel that this is what I do as a teacher.  I truly feel that my job is to prepare students for whatever they choose to do outside of high school.  To be successful in our society, most of my students will never need to know the quadratic formula, circle properties, trig functions, or many other topics that I teach.  They will have to know how to think, be respectful, follow directions, and do other basic skills that will allow them to function in a positive work environment without being taken advantage of or losing their jobs.  I believe that if we can succeed at embedding these characteristics in our students, then the scores will follow.  

To do this, however, teachers need discipline in their classrooms.  This is where the behaviorist theory really comes into play in school.  The world outside of high school does not have IEPs nor does it have special education.  You do not get second and third chances at taking tests.  A person does not get a second chance at meeting a deadline.  The world is behavioristic.  It is reward and consequence in its finest fashion.  If you do not meet deadlines at work, you get fired.  If you do not make the grade in college, you get kicked out of the program.  If you excel, then you get promoted or ranked in college.  This is what I try to teach my students.  I use behaviorism in my classroom daily, as do most teachers.  I make students understand that there are rewards for success and consequences for failure.  After all, that is real world application isn't it?  

Two strategies that I strongly believe in are the practice and homework strategy, as well as, the reinforcing effort strategy.  My belief in these strategies may be due to the subject that I teach, mathematics.  For students to be successful in math, they have to practice, practice, and then practice some more.  Other strategies such as discovery learning are great but without the practice students will never master their standards.  Students must get positive reinforcement when they try to be successful.  In football, we say never get on to a player due to genetics but coach their effort.  This is true in the classroom.  Some students do not have the capabilities as others so we must try and be supportive of their effort.  This does not mean give grades for completion.  I have never understood this philosophy.  Grades should reflect knowledge not participation. 

This is where I believe technology is most helpful.  The differentiation that is available through technology is wonderful.  Programs that help reinforce and tutor students combined with work in the classroom, helps students to reach their full potential if they are willing. 

To summarize, behaviorism is essential in today’s classroom because it is in our society.  There has to be rules.  Those rules must be followed.  If they are not, there has to be consequences.  If they are, then good things will happen.  Students must be taught how to act and be respectful.  I do not see how a classroom can function without behaviorism.

3 comments:

  1. Todd,

    I like how you stated that "The world is bahavioristic." I think I may be a little more of a softy than you when it comes to grades, but also believe that students have a sense of entitlement to only the rewards and not the consequences. The consequences they do seem to face rarely seem to be enough to motivate them. Looking at family life, the more absent parents are, and/or the fewer consequences, the more they are going to act out in school or care about grades. However, getting back to where we began, the "world" is not so kind, and we are responsible for teaching those skills that parents may gloss over.

    I like the idea of technology use for differentiation. Some of the programs out there, especially for math, are excellent at remediating content that a student is having difficulty with. A few even help push students who are doing well to the next level.

    Keep up the hard work,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that we have an obligation to students that do not get a lot of discipline at home. We are their only hope in teaching them right from wrong. Unfortunately, this tough love is not an easy thing to do. I tell my students that i will treat them the way I would treat my own child and hold them to the same expectations. Many teachers feel sorry for kids with bad homes. If we constantly feel for them then we are actually hurting them when they get out of school. What are your thoughts?

    I use technology often to remediate and to enrich my classes. I am glad that you agree that it is a useful tool. We use study island and usa test prep as well as teachertube videos to reteach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you put everything in context relative to the real world. I know that we have talked several times about how kids should be prepared for the world after school, not just high school but college too. I get the sense that you will do whatever it takes when it comes to teaching and that you are ready and willing to make technology a part of your daily routine. However, you are not going to do anything that will jeopardize the control of your classroom. You are very strong in your behavioristic beliefs and good on ya for it! I think that we all agree that behaviorism IS classroom management and that classroom management is critical for a productive classroom. Therefore, behaviorism is vital for education. You know, a=b, b=c, then a=c. I knew that you would like that, you math geek!
    Tony

    ReplyDelete